Following the announcement of the first confirmed case of the coronavirus in Renfrew County, the Renfrew County and District Health Unit is reminding residents that the best way to prevent further spread and to reduce the risk of significant illness is to follow the social distancing instructions which include the following measures:
• Avoiding non-essential trips in the community.
• If you have to go into the community for an essential trip via taxi or rideshare, be sure to keep the windows down.
• Avoiding visits to Long-Term Care Homes, Retirement Homes, Supportive Housing, hospitals, Hospices and other congregate care settings unless the visit is absolutely essential.
• Talk to your supervisor, manager, or employer about the possibility of working from home.
• If you have meetings planned, consider doing them virtually instead of in person.
• Avoid sending children to daycare.
• Individuals should stay home unless necessary.
• If you spend time outside maintain a 2-metre distance from other people.
Additionally, practice the following measures to reduce the spread of germs including the novel coronavirus (COVID-19):
• Clean your hands frequently with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then clean your hands.
• If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve and then clean your hands.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth, unless you have just cleaned your hands.
• If you are ill, stay home.
• Avoid contact with people who are sick.
• Get your flu shot.
If you think you may have COVID-19 symptoms or have been in close contact with someone who has it, first self-isolate and then use Ontario’s Self-Assessment Tool to see if you need to seek further care.
If you need further assistance, call TeleHealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 or your health care provider. You can also call Renfrew County and District Health Unit at 613-735-8654.
Visit Ontario’s website to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-1
For more information, visit the RCDHU website at https://www.rcdhu.com/novel-coronavirus-covid-19-2/, or for COVID-19 information for workplaces, visit: https://www.rcdhu.com/covid-19-information-for-workplaces/.